GRILL TOP SHRIMP BOIL
3 pounds jumbo shrimp, unshelled
24 bay scallops, shucked and trimmed, shells reserved
8 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for serving
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
1 1/2 pounds fresh okra pods
4 ears corn, husked, cut crosswise into 2-inch sections
12 ounces cooked andouille sausage links
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Hot sauce, for serving
Method: Direct grilling
- Using kitchen shears, make a lengthwise cut through the back of each shrimp. Use the tine of a fork or the tip of a bamboo skewer to pull out the vein if you see one.
- Mix the Old Bay seasoning and butter in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and scallops and stir to mix. Skewer on separate bamboo skewers. Thread the okra pods through their sides on skewers as well; use 2 skewers to keep the okra from spinning.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. If using a gas grill, wood chunks in the smoker box and run the grill on high until you see smoke. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to high, then toss 1 or 2 wood chunks on the coals.
- When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Arrange the andouille sausage links on the grill and warm, turning frequently to avoid flare-ups. Remove from the grill and slice crosswise on a diagonal. Keep warm. Cook the okra for 4 to 6 minutes total, turning once. Grill the corn until darkly browned, 6 to 8 minutes, turning as needed. Place the skewered, marinated shrimp and scallops on the hot grate and grill until just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the grilled shrimp, scallops, andouille sausage, okra, and corn to a platter. Drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with hot sauce on the side.